After I did my first Sweet Tooth DIY: Vegan Ice Cream, a few people asked if I could find a healthy recipe for chocolate chip cookies. And boy do I have the perfect recipe! I mean, who doesn’t like chocolate chip cookies? They’re all kinds of perfect. I especially love sneaking one right out the oven, when the chocolate it melted & the dough is chewy.
But, if you’re looking at me like “Girl, I can’t eat those things, they’re full of carbs and artificial sugars!” — then get ready to feast your eyes on this. Gluten free/sugar free chocolate chip cookies. They look slightly rounder than the typical Pillsbury, but they taste as close to heaven as usual.
Warning: Don’t be freaked out by the main ingredient — I can promise you that they won’t taste like hummus! I was also slightly hesitant at first. But I’m really glad I tired it!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 & 1/4 Cup Chickpeas
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup & 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Cup of Chocolate chip cookies
- Food processor
*If you can’t eat dairy, or looking for a healthier alternative, try replacing the chocolate chips with carob chips — equally as delicious!
* If you are allergic to peanut butter, alternate for almond butter.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN, MAKE SURE TO PRE-HEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350 °F
- Using a strainer, rinse your chickpeas with water
*Bubbles will appear when you do this, that’s okay! Simply rinse until they’re gone.
- Gently pat your chickpeas dry & pour them into your food processor
- Add all of your ingredients into the food processor, except the chocolate chips
- Once all of your ingredients are in the food processor, mix until smooth
- Add your chocolate chips into the now smooth cookie mixture
- Separate the cookie mixture into timbit sized balls on a non-stick cookie sheet
*A pan covered in tin foil, sprayed with pam works just fine too.
- Put the cookies in the oven & let them cook for 10 minutes
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and allow about 15 minutes for them to cool down
* If you’re a cookie dough kinda person – skip the baking powder & oven, and eat the cookie mixture straight out the food processor.
It’s rather bizarre that they’re made of chickpeas,right? But they taste pretty darn good even so. Like I promised, they don’t have one hint of hummus flavour to them. Instead they taste like the delicious treat that you wanted – without all the sugar & flour.
Bake a batch, make some tea and curl up to a good movie. This is the perfect snack for these cold fall nights. Try snacking on a few of these instead of the typical halloween treats. I guarantee that they’re equally as sweet & you won’t entirely regret it afterwards.
Let me know if you like them by commenting below or hitting me up on Twitter @evesharabi. Do you have another healthy twist to chocolate chip cookies? I’d love to hear it!
Is there another treat that you adore, but thinks it needs a healthy twist? Let me know & I’ll try to find a recipe to share with you. We’re in this together — sweet teeth unite!