NOLAN BLANCHARD | Moving to Toronto

Phew. It’s been a crazy past few days. And things are only heating up. The excitement now that I’ve finally moved into Pitman Hall is higher than ever. But before I get ahead of myself, let me try to cover some of my last few experiences of the summer.

I never really got around to explaining exactly what I did this summer, which is pretty huge in preparing me for this huge change. For the last few months I’ve been working through the Windsor Public Library as a temporary Page. Basically I sort all returning or misplaced books back onto the shelf. Doesn’t sound too exciting, I know. Before I actually started to work there, I was really apprehensive about it all. I didn’t want to spend my entire summer in a boring, stuffy library working full time. But I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. Not only did sorting the books pass the time, it was also really interesting learning how exactly the library system worked and there were many little details to pick up on. And my coworkers were really great. I became pretty good friends with them and had a blast joking around with them in the backroom. It was actually quite difficult to leave them after just getting to know them. I also had the chance to work with one of the most amazing women I’ve met – a coordinator at the library who set up events for kids at the library. Not only did she organize and plan months in advance, she also weekly had kids of all ages come to the library where she would read and involve all the kids in activities to get them excited about learning. Never in my life have I met someone so passionate and loving and humble who also excelled at their work. The way she got the kids attention and made being at the library pure joy was truly inspiring. Having that role model is actually super important for me moving forward with my career.

On the actual Road To Ryerson

Speaking of goodbyes – as a result of working full time I barely had time to see friends. I caught up with a few and it was very refreshing. Finally the day before I left, I had all my friends over and said goodbye. To be honest, I didn’t realize I was leaving until some of the most important people in my life’s started to say goodbye. It was rough for a bit but everyone was immensely supportive – even some friends here at Ryerson that I haven’t even met. Things only got crazier from there. Packing started up right away and the next day I set off with my family and hit up Guelph to visit my brother and then made it to Toronto to have dinner. There we were served by a small time actor that appeared in Orphan Black (great show) and who also happens to be going to Ryerson. Then we went and got a hotel and ended up crashing super early. Which was pretty convenient since we had a bright and early morning to prepare for all the move in day craziness.


Which finally brings me to where I am now: my apartment style room on campus where I am relaxing with my roomies. The day has been quite exhausting but very thrilling. I got everything moved in quickly and had tons of time to explore campus and say goodbye to my fam. My sister, who lives in Toronto, also took me around downtown where we explored a conveniently timed Buskerfest on Yonge St. There was an abundance of awesome street performers, food trucks and shopping tents. City life came fast and furious these past few days and I can easily say I am in love with it all. Orientation week has just begun and it is sure to be quite the experience. I’ll be sure to check in next week and update everyone on all the Ryerson festivities!

In the meantime, follow my story where I shall post updates on the go!

Part 1: Who Is Nolan?

Part 2: Identity Crisis

Part 4: My Orientation Experience

Part 5: First Week & Last Blog

See what the other #RoadToRyerson folks are up to!

[show-team category=’road-to-ryerson-2′ layout=’hover’ style=’img-rounded,text-center,6-columns’ display=’photo,freehtml,name’]