Call For Volunteers!
Ryerson’s Orientation Week takes place the week before classes begin and gives incoming students the chance to connect with other new students, get familiar with their academic program, and get to know their way around campus. Our Orientation Week is designed to meet the needs of all new students. From start to finish, students play a major role in the planning, facilitation and assessment of Ryerson Orientation. As the key stakeholders, we want to hear from you! What’s working? What’s missing? These are vital questions we look to you to help answer.
So what’s a vox pop?
The term “vox pop” comes from the Latin phrase vox populi, meaning “voice of the people”. Vox pop interviewers approach people on the street and ask them simple, pre-determined questions about a certain topic to provide a snapshot of public opinion.
#RTR Orientation Volunteers will complete a series of short, approximately 5-minute vox pop interviews over a 1-hour timeframe. While the volunteer will follow a set of predetermined questions, we hope for these interviews to be quite casual and conversational with plenty of follow-ups—it is thoughtful follow-ups that often yield the most powerful insights! At the beginning and end of a session, journalists will record “field notes” to capture anything they found interesting, strange, revealing or significant about the experience as a whole.
These interviews will be recorded, transcribed and coded to learn more about the student experience at #RTR Orientation specifically. The findings will be summarized, removing any personal identifiers, and shared with Student Life staff to improve the Orientation experience in years to come.
This role will require a 2-4 day commitment depending on your availability.
There will be one afternoon (2 hour) mandatory training: Friday August 23rd 10am-12pm
There are three events with various time slots available:
- Orientation Kickoff: Monday August 26th 1-3pm
- SLC Live: Thursday August 29th 7-10pm
- International Student Welcome Party: Saturday August 31st 3-5pm
- Gain valuable experience: develop your interviewing/interpersonal skills in a low-stakes environment (volunteering always looks great on a resume!)
- Give back to the Ryerson community: your contributions can have a lasting impact on future programming and supports!
- Meet new people: volunteering is a great way to meet new people and engage with the Ryerson community at large!
- Compensation: snacks and commuter fare will be provided.
All interested parties, please fill out this form and we’ll be in contact shortly! We hope to hear from you soon!