Orientation Marketing Assistant
Student Life Programs, Student Community Life
Andrew Bisnauth, Orientation and Events Specialist
$12.50 per hour
May 2015 – September 8th, 2015 @ 35 hrs per week
Must be a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing at Ryerson University. Work-Study approved for the summer of 2015 is favourable, but not required.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Ryerson Central Orientation Team and will oversee the maintenance of the Ryerson Central Orientation website and its related web-pages (including those hosted on external servers), assisting with the planning and implementation of an innovative, digital Orientation experience. They must be tech-savvy, comfortable with Web 2.0 technologies and experienced with web-design as well as managing various social media platforms simultaneously. This person will play a pivotal role in designing the Ryerson Orientation’s public appearance by creating both online and print mediums. The incumbent must be highly creative, self-motivated, and capable of functioning independently as well as in a team. It is necessary for the incoming Marketing Lead to possess strong organizational, research, and communication skills, a solid understanding of Ryerson University, and have experience in multi-media production and editing. They must also understand how the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion have an impact on marketing efforts, Orientation Week, and student leadership development. The candidate must be willing to commit their efforts to the enhancement of all orientation programming to support the transition of new students at Ryerson.
- Maintain and track the use of Ryerson’s Student Life website (www.studentlife.ryerson.ca); develop web content focused on Orientation (written and multimedia) when necessary.
- Assist with the creation of a vibrant, interactive, online presence for the Orientation Week program. This must include Web 2.0 technologies and audiovisual media that features the experiences, perspectives and input of a diverse array of community members at Ryerson (e.g. skits and video addresses from students, staff and faculty). Online Orientation programs provide an interactive, online experience that helps new students network with their peers and learn about the various support mechanisms, services, and opportunities available to them at Ryerson University
- Update the Student Life Programs website (www.ryerson.ca/stuprog) to highlight Orientation programming.
- Manage RU Student Life social media platforms (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for Orientation Specific content; answering or redirecting questions as necessary. This includes working alongside RU Student Life’s Social Media Community Manager.
- Design all print-based and online marketing initiatives including the Parents’ Orientation Handbook, all Orientation Week-related signage and banners, certificates of recognition for Ryerson Orientation Crew etc.
- Ensure that all documentation and files relating to content created for online platforms is maintained in an orderly and efficient manner.
- Work with the Sponsorship Lead to coordinate the Orientation program’s branding & online engagement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist with the set-up and teardown of Central and Residence Orientation events.
- Work closely with the Residence Orientation Lead and other members of the Residence Summer Staff on collaborative events such as Residence Move-in Day, the Guinness World Record attempt, and the Invocation Ceremony.
- Assist with the design and delivery of the 2-day Orientation Leadership Training Retreat for Ryerson Orientation Crew and Faculty/Program Orientation Leaders in August 2014 (Dates TBA).
- Support the work of the Central Orientation Team and the Residence Summer Staff throughout the summer.
- Work in conjunction with Student Affairs staff.
- At the conclusion of Orientation Week, work with the other members of the Orientation Team to ensure that all follow-up activities and tasks are attended to and resolved.
- Review all of the position’s activities and the overall orientation program and offer recommendations in a final report due by the last day of his or her contract.
- Ensure confidentiality of student information and be professional at all times.
- Extensive knowledge of Web 2.0 platforms, blogging & photography
- Ability to manage several social media platforms using innovative/creative marketing techniques
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Light Room, etc.)
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Group facilitation skills
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Graphic design skills and web design skills required
- Extensive knowledge of Ryerson programs and services considered an asset
- Only candidates invited to an interview will be contacted. If invited to an interview, you will be asked to provide a portfolio of work illustrating your skills for this position.